Leaks are a significant source of wasted energy in a compressed air system, often wasting as much as 20 to 30 percent of the compressor’s output. Compressed air leaks can also contribute to problems with system operations, including:
• Fluctuating system pressure, which can cause air tools and other air-operated equipment to function less efficiently, possibly affecting production
• Excess compressor capacity, resulting in higher than necessary costs
• Decreased service life and increased maintenance of supply equipment (including the compressor package) due to unnecessary cycling and increased run time.
- Exit signs are an often overlooked opportunity to reduce energy costs.
- Energy-efficient replacement options include LED lighting and self-luminous technologies.
- Retrofit kits are available to update existing fixtures with energy-efficient lighting.